Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blast from the past


Memories may be beautiful and yet, what's too painful to remember .... of the way we were. Yes, this is the lyrics to a Barbara Streisand song. And this is the song that pops into my head when I look at the first "successful" pots I made. Maybe a little dramatic for pottery but that's the way they were back in 2009. I thought they were amazing. I managed to center and form, on the wheel, three pots that did not collapse and consequently, deserved to live! Pleased, but acknowledging their primitive style, I gave them simple slip decorations followed by a clear glaze. It's important to save those first pots or creations. When I have a tough day and want to throw the clay out the window instead of on the wheel, I take a look at those pots and see how far I've come because I didn't give up. For that, I'm giving myself a pat on the back. Give yourself one too, even if it is just because you made it to Friday. Good Superbowl weekend people.
P.S. Feathers in the pots are from my Amazon parrot. More about birdie another time. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment