Monday, October 15, 2012

Bell Beaker



The top photo is from a book of ancient history. I thought it would be easy to copy something made with simple tools, such as bones, cording and sticks as were used to create the bell beakers of 2900 - 1800 B.C. But, as it turns out...not really. Thinking I would make quick work of it, I threw the piece on the wheel, but I didn't want throwing lines to show. So I had to "mess" with it quite awhile to make it look more free form. To make a diamond pattern and the incised lines, I created a stamp and a broad blade from sticks I whittled. The incised lines seem to be pressed in, not carved in as I first thought. As I looked closer at the original, I could see evidence of a repetitive pattern that one tool would make. The beaker potters must have been a patient people because it took what seemed like forever to stamp and incise a design around the entire pot that was only about 5 inches tall and come out even. To make my pot look like the red earthenware that the Beaker Folk potters used, I used various shades of dark slip to give it some age. I came away feeling as if I had a lesson from the ancient ones in replicating such a historic piece. Too bad I didn't have some mead to celebrate its completion.   

No comments:

Post a Comment