Monday, August 21, 2017

Good News and Bad News



The top photo of a pot that is only about 1 inch x 1 x 1 made it through a cone 5 firing. It's a 50/50 mix of local clay and Laguna's B-Mix with grog. Being very symmetrical with a flat bottom made for a good result. Then I made a tea cup [normal size] with a good handle with the same mix of clay. The handle pulled the cup over in the firing. I kind of like it because it is so weird but it shows me that I am pushing the temperature limits of that clay. Next test, I'm adding more B-mix and I'll see what that does. I don't want to lose the color of this clay by adding too much B-mix. The photo doesn't do it justice. The cup has a white glaze inside and clear outside; the little pot has just a clear glaze, but the best look, in my opinion is no glaze. More test pots to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment