Thursday, February 20, 2014

Glaze fix

A previous, temporary instructor of the senior center had purchased a large amount of Laguna Catalina Crackle, without testing. Bad idea. It ran like it was in a marathon, and blistered leaving sharp craters. The sludge that settled in the bottom of the bucket is impossible to mix by hand. Not exactly user friendly. Thanks to an article in Pottery Making Illustrated July/Aug 2013, In the Studio "Crazed" written by Deanna Ranlett, the glaze shall not go to waste. I tested two possible solutions suggested in the article and both worked...the addition of Gertsley Borate or EPK. The trick was to get the proportions correct since I am dealing with a bucket of wet glaze. So my testing measurement went like this.... mix 1/4 cup of drained glaze sludge with 1 teaspoon of EPK mixed in 1/8 cup of glaze liquid. Repeat until empty peanut butter jar is full. I will have to expand my measurements since I've got a large bucket to amend. This bowl, for soup of course, shows the results. The bare buff colored stoneware becomes an attractive toasted color next to this glaze. And that crackle finish makes it worth all the trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment