Thursday, November 1, 2012

A vase with a twist

This is one of those pieces that had been sitting on my black shelf in the bisqueware condition for quite a while. When I was learning on the wheel, I had a knack of getting an upper area of the pot to twist without collapsing. This wasn't exactly on purpose at first.  I really liked the look of that twist but I wasn't sure about the best glazes needed to accentuate it. Coyote shino breaks to rust quite reliably when applied thin, so that's what I used. A little Iron Saturate on the lip and in the upper part of the twist made it even darker and a bit rougher where the glaze ran. The black is C.W. Wolf Plum. How do you like the backdrop for this pot? I found some beautifully weathered barn boards that I thought would work for this purpose once I brushed off the old spider webs and spiders. The boards themselves have such a great look, I have to make sure they don't look better than my pottery.

1 comment:

  1. The glaze does compliment that vase nicely - love the twisted top!

    I love the barn boards as a backdrop, too!

    ReplyDelete