Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ooops!


Somehow, this lidded jar managed to get itself into a bisque firing when it really needed to be glaze fired. Colors are interesting; almost similar to red earthenware but nothing like I had imagined. That lower firing for a cone5/6 glaze tends to mess with the original look I was after which would have given me more glaze interaction and dripping with creams and blues. 
Here is the re-fired results. I did add more glaze to it before the re-fire. The very glossy black with just a touch of rim color is a very attractive look. All new pieces sit on my coffee table in the living room for awhile. This helps me evaluate it and learn from it. Every pot is a lesson. This pot makes me notice all the blacks and dark browns in the room and instead of blending in, it stands out. A little bit of a lesson in decorating too.

1 comment:

  1. I actually like both looks - the lower-fired glaze is a little more rustic!

    ReplyDelete