Monday, November 4, 2013

Lots of glazing



We have completed our soup bowls for the fundraiser. We've got quite a nice collection of bowl with some pretty glaze surprises. The top two photos are of one bowl that gave interesting results due to circumstances. I shall explain. This bowl has two layers of Celadon Froth and then a somewhat thick layer of Colonial white that was poured when everything was quite damp. Since that bowl seemed to be taking forever to dry, I moved it over to an adjoining table not realizing that a friend of mind would be kneading her clay. As the table shook, so did the glaze. But as the glaze slid down inside the bowl, the little green spots of glaze worked through the white layer. It was cool how it became immortalized in the glaze firing. I will have to try that again and see if I can repeat it.

The bowl with the leaf resist shows more green of the Celadon Froth than I had expected. Also, I am surprised how much of the dark brown slip burns away in the cone 5 firing. The result is attractive, none the less.  I will post the finished glazed results of the bottom photo next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment