Monday, April 15, 2013

Fred Flintstone's bowl




I've been working on some projects that would help a clay novice, get a "feel" for the material while still making something of merit. My Fred Flintstone bowl is an idea I borrowed from a library book on clay but, of course, added some of my own touches. The clay coils are built on a plaster mold. If Utah had even a miniscule amount of moisture in the air, it probably would have been okay to work on the plaster alone. But I discovered, as I was working on it, the coils were drying and stiffening too quickly for my liking. Next time, I shall work on a dome wrapped in plastic wrap with a water spray bottle at the ready. After I smoothed the coil, the back of a spoon gave the bottom of the bowl a nice hammered affect. While it is still gray and stone-like in appearance, I can't help but think of Fred Flintstone eating his Pebbles cereal out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment